Spondylolisthesis is the condition where the vertebra or the vertebral panel of the spine shifts from its original position. The displacement can occur as a cause of an injury, excess stress, aging and in some cases by birth. The people involved in strenuous physical activities such as outdoor sports, gymnastics etc are quite vulnerable to the ailment. Even the young active kids might get this trouble due to some injury. However, the back injury occurred in childhood goes unnoticed until it shows up its effects in the adulthood.
The exact severity or even the correct diagnosis of the Spondylolisthesis is possible via X-Ray only. Also the spine MRI discloses the actual spine condition. However there are few symptoms which may direct the patient to the doctor’s door. These symptoms however are not directly related to the issue. If at all any person is suffering from any of these problems, he may or may not have Spondylolisthesis.
- Pain in back. If the person experiences severe pain in back after perform any vigorous physical exercise, and gets relieved after taking rest for a while, the are chances that he might be suffering from this ailment.
- Though back ache is quite very common. Every person, young or old, male or female, experiences this problem at some point of time. Many times you do not need any medication at all, some times by applying some pain relieving ointment you are able to get hold of the situation. However, if the pain I accompanied by stiffness as well, you must visit the doctor. Perhaps, the stiffness may be because of the sedentary lifestyle followed by most of us but even if it I due to Spondylolisthesis, you can cure it by following few exercises.
- In many cases of Spondylolisthesis, the nerves of the spine bare imminence pressure because of which the patient experiences tingling, crippling electric shock like pain travelling down the limbs. Thought the problem is at the spine, but it may cause a leg pain or the arm pain.
- Because of the spine nerves getting affected, the person may also feel numbness in the legs and feet.
- The leg muscle appears to be weaker than before.
- The patient might find difficulty in back arching.
- In children the condition may be diagnosed if they are unable to perform the hyper extending physical activities.
No symptom mentioned above is directly related to the Spondylolisthesis. In many cases, the patient did not complain of any of these symptoms and found out about the problem accidently! The condition is not harmful neither it is very serious. But that does not mean that you should take it lightly. You will indeed have to prevent the condition from getting worst. And for that you need to follow the instructions given by the doctor religiously. Even if you are not diagnosed with the issue, then also you should take a good care of your back. Exercise regularly, eat healthy and be fit for ever!